Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sausage Stars take the Spotlight



I realize that I started a section of my blog called "seldom splurges" and so far there is only one "splurge". Adding to the collection, I will share with you my most requested recipe- sausage stars. Finger foods are always good for football games and parties, and these miniature appetizers are no exception. I think of sausage stars as a modern approach to typical party snacks such as chips, dips, and cookies. While they look intricate and time-consuming, expect quite the opposite. The preparation is surprisingly quick and simple, but you do need a mini-muffin pan. In my opinion, everyone needs one of these anyways because what is cuter than a little baby muffin? This recipe was given to my mom by one of her closest friends and has proven, over and over again, to be a keeper. I have lightened the recipe a bit by using low-fat cheese and light ranch dressing but as I explained about all of my "seldom splurge" recipes, sausage stars should be an occasional treat. (The boyfriend believes they would suffice for every meal. Oh, where would he be without my nutrition guidance?) I encourage you to give these dainty h'ordeuvres a try the next time that you want your dish to be in the spotlight of the party. Stars always shine- sausage stars that is.

Sausage Stars
makes 48

Ingredients
1 lb spicy pork sausage
1 cup light ranch dressing
2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar or colby-jack cheese
1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 package won-ton wrappers (50 count)

  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Cook sausage until done, as directed on package. Rinse and Drain.
  3. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the won-ton wrappers.
  4. Place a won-ton wrapper in each cup of 2 ungreased mini-muffin pans (24 cups in each). Using your thumb, gently press the wrapper into the middle of the cup to mold its shape.
  5. Bake won-ton wrappers for 5 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and evenly fill each wrapper with a spoonful of sausage mix.
  7. Bake for another 5-7 minutes.
Nutrition: (serving of 2 sausage stars) 156 calories, 10g carbohydrate, 6g protein, 10g fat, 4 weight watchers points

***Won-ton wrappers are usually found in the produce section of grocery stores, often with vegetarian/vegan items.

Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers