Monday, February 21, 2011

Sinless Cinnamon Buns

I found a recipe a few years ago for homemade cinnamon rolls. They looked a bit complicated but I was up for the challenge. That was before I had a Kitchen-aid stand mixer and the cinnamon rolls turned into quite an ordeal. Hours upon hours later, when they came out of the oven, the smell was to die for. I did it. I actually made huge, gooey homemade cinnamon rolls. They were beautiful and the reactions from my taste-testers were even more satisfying. My parents claimed them to be the best cinnamon rolls they had ever eaten. My roommate requested them for her birthday "cake". The boyfriend got a care package in the mail before finals, full of cinnamon love. They were definitely a hit. But as far as their nutritional content, quite the miss. They were loaded with sugar, butter, and zillions of calories. Sure, its ok to ignore that information for a special occasion but nobody should eat these pastries on a regular basis.

Cinnamon is one of my favorite spices and the idea os cinnamon rolls is definitely appealing. I decided that I could create a treat that exhibits the same flavors, without all of the excess fat. I'm not sure what made me give this idea a try but I have been making these for years now and they always kick a cinnamon roll craving. Everything is cooked to begin with so this is great for a hurried breakfast treat or an after-dinner dessert. It may sound a bit odd, but I encourage you to try it at least once. While it is obviously not going to be a food court style pastry, each one only has 56 calories compared to the typical 800+.

Cinnamon Buns
serves 2

Ingredients
1 light wheat hamburger bun
2 tbsp fat-free cream cheese
2 tsp fat-free butter (plus a little extra for spreading)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Splenda
Cinnamon and Splenda for sprinkling
  1. Lay hamburger bun halves, inside facing upwards. Lightly spread butter over each half and sprinkle with cinnamon and Splenda.
  2. Lightly toast in toaster oven. (This isn't necessary but it gives the bun added texture and structure).
  3. In a small microwavable bowl or ramekin, combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Microwave for 15 seconds. Stir until smooth. Add Splenda and stir until combined.
  4. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture on each bun. Enjoy!
Nutrition: 56 calories, 10g carbohydrate, 4g protein, 1g fat, 2g fiber
weight watchers points: 1
weight watchers plus points: 2


Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers