Sunday, February 27, 2011

Back to Bikini Tetrazzini

In a recent issue of Southern Living magazine, I came across a section of chicken tetrazzini recipes. There were several ideas giving a twist to the classic dish. They all looked delicious but the chicken marsala take stood out to me. Everyone in my family loves Chicken Marsala, a common Italian entree, so I figured this was sure to be a hit. I worked my "calorie-slashing" magic on the ingredient list in order to lighten up the dish. The result was wonderful. The sauce was creamy with a hint of red wine flavor. It was the perfect compliment to the tender pieces of grilled chicken, sauteed mushrooms, and green peas. The original recipe calls for the addition of prosciutto, but I left it out since I don't do the whole red meat thing.  I can't imagine that the pasta could have been any more flavorful. This is a keeper.

Chicken Marsala Tetrazzini 
adapted from Southern Living
serves 8

Ingredients
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 oz uncooked vermicelli pasta (Spaghetti or Angel Hair will work too)
2 tbsp light butter
10 oz. light Alfredo sauce
1 can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Marsala
12 oz fresh sliced mushrooms
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

seasoning mixture for chicken
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1/2 tsp dried Parsley
1/4 tsp dried Marjoram
1/4 tsp garlic powder
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x7 baking dish with cooking spray. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
  2. Combine the ingredients for the seasoning mixture. Lightly mist the chicken breasts with olive oil (or regular) cooking spray and sprinkle each side with the mixture. Grill until thoroughly done. Cut grilled chicken into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Melt butter in a large skillet, add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, stir together alfredo sauce, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and Marsala. 
  5. Add chicken, mushrooms, peas, and 1/2 cup parmesan.
  6. Spoon mixture into baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 35 minutes.

Nutrition: 286 calories, 31g carbohydrate, 22g protein, 9g fat, 5g fiber
weight watchers points: 6
weight watchers plus points: 8


Photobucket

2 comments:

Christi said...

stumbled here! this looks delicious!

Daniella Ivette said...

I like this! Hey, just wondering, if I made this with Shirataki noodles, how many calories would it have'?? I've just discovered those, and LOOOOVE them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers