Friday, February 11, 2011

Creamy Crock-Pot Chicken


Lately I have been in the middle of a million projects, so the crock pot has been quite handy. I can still create healthy dishes at home, without spending all of my free time cooking. I was browsing through my mom's recipe book that I made from her collection of recipe clippings, when I came across this recipe. I immediately remembered my mom making this dish when I was younger. I knew I liked it then so I figured I would like it now as well. Back then I had no idea what was in it, nor did I care; but, this time the recipe needed a few modifications. I was a bit worried that some of the flavor would be sacrificed by using fat-free cream cheese, light butter, and reduced-fat soup. There definitely no need for concern. The meal turned out amazing. The chicken was tender and the sauce was rich and creamy. You can serve this over wide egg noodles or rice. I added steamed broccoli on serve. Another great week night meal.

Chicken and Mushrooms
serves 6

Ingredients
6 (4 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp light butter
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp dry Italian dressing mix
1 can 98% fat-free Cream of Mushroom soup
6 oz. fat-free cream cheese, cut into cubes
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen green peas
  1. Wash chicken and pat dry. Brush with butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  2. Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle Italian dressing mix on top. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours.
  3. One hour before serving, mix soup, cream cheese, Sherry, and onion in a saucepan. Cook and stir until smooth. Spoon over chicken.
  4. Add mushrooms and peas. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer.
  5. Serve over rice or egg noodles if desired.
Nutrition: (without noodles) 200 calories, 10g carbohydrate, 29g protein, 5g fat
5 weight watchers points
5 weight watchers plus points 

Nutrition: (with 1/2 cup cooked egg noodles) 300 calories, 29g carbohydrate, 33g protein, 6g fat, 3g fiber
6 weight watchers points
8 weight watchers plus points

Photobucket

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the new Weight Watchers Plus points. Thank you for thinking of this for us WW friends. So proud of you. Debbie Penhale

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers