Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Slim Like Spaghetti



I am on vacation at the beach for a week before jumping back into the school routine. While we are mostly dining out at local seafood restaurants, I planned ahead and saved some recipes that I cooked last week to post while I am away from my kitchen. Since I don't care to spend much time sitting in the condo on my computer, these posts will be short and straight to the recipe. Unlike with most of my other posts, you will be spared the rambling of nutrition information. Although, now that I think about it, I really want to share with you all the exciting ways to make a healthy spaghetti dish...okay it is just way too pretty outside. I'll save it for a rainy day.

This virtually fat-free dish is so delicious and cooks in a crock pot. You can prepare it, leave it, and come home to a warm Italian entree. Add a salad and dinner is served.

Slim Like Spaghetti
serves 6

Ingredients
1 lb. ground turkey breast
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 package McCormick Italian-Style Spaghetti sauce mix
1 cup water
6 oz. can tomato paste
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
8 oz. dry whole wheat spaghetti noodles
parmesan cheese, optional

  1. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook ground turkey over medium heat until completely cooked (no pink). Mix in minced garlic.
  2. In crock pot or slow cooker, add cooked ground turkey, seasoning mix, water, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper. Cook on the low setting for 4 to 6 hours.
  3. Thirty minutes prior to serving, stir mushrooms into sauce mixture in crock pot.
  4. Boil noodles and top with sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan if desired.
Nutrition: 270 calories, 44g carbohydrate, 25g protein, 0g fat



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers