Thursday, August 5, 2010

Meet Your Goal With Chicken Casserole



Chicken Casserole is a fairly popular dish in the American home. It seems that while they are all similar, there are many small variations when it comes to the topping or filling ingredients. Chicken casserole is known as a comfort food classic and comfort food is typically associated with loads of calories and fat accompanied by an uncomfortable feeling of "Stuffed". This is a simple dish to prepare with no strong flavors to offend picky eaters. This is a meal that will draw you back to memories of your childhood days, warm and welcoming. As far as variations, the recipe contains poppy seeds which add to the texture and eye appeal.

This recipe was given to my mom by a family friend after she prepared the dish for my family. Everyone devoured the meal and my mom decided that she would have to prepare it again. While I am sure it was delicious, I never tried the original version. After looking over the recipe, I decided the casserole definitely had potential for a healthy make-over. I began by substituting the canned soups with the reduced-fat versions. Next, I substituted fat-free greek yogurt for full fat sour cream (If you have been reading my blog,  you could have probably guessed this one without me writing it). The topping is where the casserole racks up most of its fat calories. The recipe called for a tube of Ritz crackers and a stick of melted butter. I replaced the crackers with corn flakes and omitted the butter. I would never recommend this cereal as a healthy breakfast option, but it works in this casserole to add crunch. Plus, it is much better than the buttery Ritz. To further reduce carbs, you could just not use a topping at all. Like I said, I can't compare the make-over dish to the original but my healthy version had an amazing creamy flavor, a plenty crunchy topping, and the comforting appeal I was looking for. I served this dish with steamed green beans and a fresh salad. You could also serve the casserole over whole grain brown rice.

Poppyseed Chicken Casserole
serves 6

Ingredients
1 lb. boiled boneless,skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 can 98% fat-free Cream of Chicken soup
1 can 98% fat-free Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
2 tsp poppy seeds
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups corn flakes

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Mix together the soups, yogurt, poppy seeds, salt and pepper.
  3. Add the chicken to the mixture and combine.
  4. Pour the mixture into prepared baking dish and top with corn flakes.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition: 195 calories, 17g carbohydrate, 23g protein, 3g fat


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers