Saturday, August 14, 2010

Go Green to get Lean



Coming inside for a quick break from the crashing waves and burning sun, I wanted a quick snack. No, I didn't want a bag of chips or a pack of crackers. I knew the perfect dish for my afternoon appetite, but of course I did not have even one of the ingredients at the condo. But when I have a particular recipe in mind, I don't mind if my quick break from the beach turn into an hour of errands. I decided to go to the grocery store, and like usual, instead of grabbing the necessary ingredients, I had to explore the isles as well. Yes it was just Publix, and I typically go to Publix on a daily basis, but I always find that one item in a different store that is not in my store at home.

Once back to the condo, I simply mixed all the ingredients and threw the dip in the oven for about 20 minutes. This recipe is full of flavor and is better than many spinach dip appetizers that I have tried in recipes. Best of all, it is low in fat and calories, unlike those restaurant dishes. The dip is probably best when served warm but is also extremely yummy straight out out of the fridge. The reduced-fat mayonnaise and greek yogurt replace full-fat mayo and whipping cream. The recipe also uses fat-free mozzarella and parmesan cheese, which is naturally low in fat. I placed a low carb tortilla directly on the oven rack to cook with the dip. I took it out about 5 minutes before the dip was finished baking and broke it into chip-sized bites. They were so crisp and delicious and so much healthier than tortillas chips. Fresh vegetables are also perfect for dipping.

Spinach Artichoke Dip
serves 8

Ingredients
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 cups 0% plain Greek yogurt
1/3 reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 tbsp sliced onions
1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium size bowl, stir together Parmesan cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise, and garlic.
  2. Add onions, artichokes, spinach and mozzarella. Stir until blended.
  3. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition: 93 calories, 7g carbohydrate, 10g protein, 4g fat


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers