Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lightly Lemon

With the time change and Spring right around the corner, I can't help but dream of the fresh fruits that come with the warm weather. Since there is still some time before most fruits will reach their peak, I chose to use one that is available year round. I wanted to make a light dessert and decided that lemon bars would be the perfect selection. The crust is made from a mixture of whole wheat flour and oats. At first, I thought the addition of oats was a bit odd but they are actually what made crust so delicious. The filling had the perfect citrus flavor from using a combination of the lemon juice and zest. It used a combination of eggs and egg whites to make a light, fluffy texture. Just because this is a lighter version treat, does not mean that they are healthy or that anybody should devour the whole pan. On my blog, I like to refer to foods like this as a "seldom splurge". Overall, I thought this was a great dessert to kick off the season and everybody seemed to enjoy it just as much as I did. The boyfriend said they reminded him of a Krispy Kreme lemon filled donut. Not exactly what I was going for, but I'll take it.

Low-fat Lemon Bars
adapted from Our Scented Cottage
serves 16

Ingredients
crust:
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
3 tbsp butter

filling:
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
juice and zest of 1 large lemon
powder sugar for dusting
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and oats. Using a pastry blender, add butter until mixture is crumbly. Press in bottom of baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, whisk together egg and egg white. Add sugar and beat until creamy. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon. Whisk until smooth.
  4. Pour lemon mixture over pre-baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until center is set.
Nutrition: 125 calories, 24g carbohydrate, 2g protein, 3g fat, 1g fiber
weight watchers points: 3
weight watchers plus points: 4
Photobucket

2 comments:

Boden said...

Mmmm, I <3 lemon! This looks so lovely!

Dale said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. I love lemon bars. Nice blog...following now

xoDale
My first giveaway
http://savvyspice.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-1st-giveaway-clothes-couture-candy.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers