Friday, December 3, 2010

Guilt Free, Way To Be



Back in the day before I knew anything about nutrition, I would always order Fettuccine Alfredo at Italian restaurants. The creamy dish seems to be quite a popular choice. Besides the huge portions of pasta served in restaurants, a dish made with Alfredo sauce is guaranteed to be overflowing with calories and fat. Because I now know quite a bit about nutrition (more than 4 years worth), I usually order some sort of grilled fish entree with steamed veggies. I love seafood and would choose it over pasta even it weren't for the nutrition facts, but every now and then I just want noodles covered with a cheesy cream sauce. When that sort of craving strikes, I make my own lightened Alfredo sauce. Made from fat-free milk and light cream cheese, this sauce is amazingly delicious. Nobody would ever know that it doesn't contain heavy cream or that is light in any way. It is great over plain noodles but I also like to add grilled chicken, mushrooms, and green peas for a complete family meal. I plan to make it again soon to use for the sauce on a white pizza. The whole recipe of Guiltless Alfredo Sauce will cover 1 pound of pasta.

Guiltless Alfredo Sauce
adapted from Our Best Bites
serves 8

Ingredients
2 cups fat-free milk
3 oz. light cream cheese
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp light butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grated Parmesan
  1. In a food processor or blender, combine milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt. Process until smooth and set aside.
  2. In a medium-large sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
  3. Add the milk mixture to the pan. Stir constantly for about 3-4 minutes until the sauce begins to simmer. Keep stirring and let it cook for a few minutes more. It should become thicker.
  4. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan until melted and cover the pan immediately.
  5. Let stand for at least 10 minutes prior to using. It will continue to thicken to desired consistency. 
Nutrition: 113 calories, 6g carbohydrates, 8g protein, 6g fat, 3 weight watchers points

Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers